How to Deposit Checks on a Prepaid Card
Paying with a prepaid card can be a convenient way to manage spending while avoiding credit cards and debt. However, when you don’t carry cash, it can be difficult to load funds to your card. Thankfully, you can use checks to fund a prepaid card account. Here’s how to deposit checks on a prepaid card:
Step 1: Choose Your Prepaid Card and Check
First, you need to ensure you’re using the right prepaid card and check. Pay attention to the card features and whether it allows check deposits. Then, make sure your check is valid and legible to make sure the funds can be transferred.
Step 2: Choose Your Deposit Method
You can choose how you want to deposit your check to your prepaid card. You might find that your prepaid card provider offers multiple ways to deposit checks. These methods might include:
- Mobile deposit: Use the prepaid card provider’s smartphone app to deposit checks by taking pictures of the front and back of the check.
- Online transfer: Log into your prepaid account online and enter the details of the check to transfer the funds electronically.
- At a branch: Use in-person banking services to deposit the check at your local branch.
Step 3: Gather Required Details
Depending on the deposit method you choose, you’ll need to gather certain information from the check. This might include:
- The check’s amount.
- The issuer account number written on the check.
- The check’s routing number, which is found along the bottom of the check.
Step 4: Complete the Deposit
Once you’ve gathered the necessary details and chosen your deposit method, all you need to do is complete the deposit.
- With mobile deposits, take pictures of the front and back of the check and enter the check information. The funds should be available in 10 to 14 days.
- With online transfers, enter the check information as requested and submit. This method may instantly transfer the funds to your account.
- At a branch, hand the valid, legible check to the teller and they will enter your information and create a deposit.
By following these four steps, you’ll be ready to deposit checks on your prepaid card. Using this method, you’ll gain access to funds quickly while avoiding credit cards and debt.